Bay State groups attempting to create aero museum
The large, nondescript steel hangar on the Concord side of Hanscom Field belies a colorful past.
The site was once a hotbed of aeronautical research, where pioneering navigation and radar systems were developed from 1948 to 2001.
Initially under the direction of the legendary Charles Stark Draper, then an institute professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the hangar has been called the MIT Instrumentation Flight Facility and the MIT Lincoln Laboratory Flight Facility. Today, the vacant building is simply known as the MIT Hangar, or Hangar 24.
Now, a coalition of historic preservation groups and aviation history buffs wants to convert the hangar to a nonprofit enterprise called the Massachusetts Air and Space Museum.